Guatemalan Man Arrested In Lethbridge Has Long Wait For Extradition Hearing
Calgary: An accused Guatemalan war criminal wanted in the United States on immigration charges, will be sitting in a Canadian jail, until his extradition hearing.
Jorge Vinicio Orantes Sosa, who is represented by Calgary lawyer Alan Hepner, remains in custody in Calgary, until his scheduled extradition hearing on August 16th an 17th. The 53-year old Sosa was denied bail on March 9th, after a judge determined he was a flight risk.
Sosa was arrested in Lethbridge on January 18th, while he visited family. He is charged in the United States with lying to get his papers. Sosa is also accused of participating in a massacre in 1982 in a Guatemalan village where 251 men, women and children were killed.
Lawyer David Gates said Sosa was notified in the U.S. last year that he was facing indictment on the immigration charges and proceeded to flee to Mexico, leaving his wife behind in California. Sosa is wanted south of the border for allegedly ``lying about being a war criminal.''
An official with a human rights group in Guatemala has previously said Sosa should face prosecution here in Canada.
Wendy Mendez, who originally came to Canada in 1986 as a political refugee after her mother went missing, says the case has attracted attention in Guatemala City where she has been living for the past 12 years.
Mendez thinks the Canadian government should refuse to extradite Sosa and prosecute him here under war crimes legislation.
Sosa's family have denied the allegations against him and say he is a good person. He has both Canadian and American citizenship.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 at 4/16/2014 4:34:21 PM
Source: Dori Modney -- Country 95 News with Files from Canadian Press