SOUTHERN ALBERTA: RCMP in Nanton have opened an investigation after three dogs have been treated for strychnine poisoning in the region.
The first case happened in the middle of December when one dog was admitted to a veterinary clinic showing signs of strychnine poisoning. The second incident came December 28, when owners found two dogs in the same stricken condition near their rural home.
"The one they noticed fairly early, on the back step. When they saw that it was seizuring, they went looking for the other one and found it a little while later back in the yard under one of the trucks," Nanton veterinarian Dirk DeGraaf told Country 95 News Tuesday. "He was having severe convulsions."
DeGraaf expects the two dogs will recover - although one is showing signs of neurological injury. He and his staff have been working with RCMP on their investigation. The veterinarian says incidents of strychnine poisoning can be fairly common, when pets get into bait left out for gophers or other pest animals, or when they eat the poisoned animals themselves. But he notes the circumstances of these cases have been a little different.
"Based on what we found in the stomachs of both these dogs, there seems to be meat which the owners have not fed them," he said. "So I suspect someone put out bait, the intent of which would be pure guess on my part."
Mounties are seeking help from the public and ask you to call the Nanton detachment if you've noticed any suspicious activity in or around the town.