Confirmed - Wood Stove Ashes Are The Culprit In January 4th Grass Fire
FORT MacLEOD: The investigstion into the January 4th grass fire north-east of Fort Macleod
has wrapped up and RCMP confirm ashes from a wood burning fireplace were the
The investigation was conducted by several fire departments, the M-D of Will
Creek Fire Chief and the Alberta Fire Commission Fire Inspector.
It was found that a home owner took ashes (which were thought to be cold and completely dead) from a wood burning stove, and put them in a metal container in a nearby
shed, early in the morning. Later on, the wind whipped up, took the roof off
the shed and spread the ashes, which ignited nearby grass.
RCMP are not considering negligence charges and the identity of the property
owner will not be released.
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 4/20/2014 10:52:58 AM
Source: Dori Modney -- Country 95 News / photo courtesy of Michelle Poelman: resident snapped this photo as she watched water trucks help firefighters