LETHBRIDGE: A fire department hazmat crew was called to the parking lot of YMCA/Civic
arena Thursday morning. Firefighters on scene dealt with what they termed
the "improper disposal of an acid type chemical".
A person in the area called the Country-95 News Room and described a chlorine smell.
Chemical containers were allegedly placed in a dumpster and which was then emptied by
a city garbage truck. When the truck compactor was engaged, the containers
burst, emitting strong vapors. The driver of the truck escaped from the vehicle
and called the fire department.
Sand was placed in the area of the truck to absorb the chemical. The
truck is expected to eventually be placed on a flatbed, to be transported to the city
landfill under police escort.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 12/10/2013 12:06:20 PM
Source: Country 95 News Photos