LETHBRIDGE: Blue-green algae is currently present in the waters of Travers Reservoir,
located southeast of Vulcan. Alberta Health cautions residents living near the
shores of the reservoir, as well as visitors to the reservoir, to take the
-- DO NOT DRINK WATER from or allow your pets to drink water from this
reservoir. Boiling contaminated water does not remove toxins from the water.
Provide an alternative source of drinking water for pets and livestock.
-- DO NOT SWIM OR WADE or allow your pets to swim or wade in this
-- AVOID CONTACT with blue-green algae along the shoreline.
-- Limit Consumption of fish from this
Blue-green algae produce a toxin (poison) that can cause
serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with water
containing this toxin. Although weather and wind conditions can cause algae
blooms to move from one location in the reservoir to another, the toxin can stay
in the water even after algae have moved or disappeared.
The advisory will remain in effect until further notice.
People who come in contact with or ingest water containing toxic blue-green
algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen
lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within
one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are
often more pronounced because they spend more time in the water and are more
likely to accidentally ingest contaminated water.
People who consume contaminated water can develop more serious illnesses,
such as liver damage, over time.
If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae, or if you require
further information on blue-green algae, please call Health Link Alberta at