LETHBRIDGE - Families who have farmed or ranched the same land for over 100 years or more
are being honoured.
A total of 82 families across the province are
receiving Century Farm and Ranch Awards this year from the Government of
Alberta. A ceremony for local recipients took place Tuesday afternoon at
Since the Century Farm and Ranch Awards began in 1993, a
total of 1,440 families have received plaques.
Stuart Elson with Agriculture and Rural Development says "what we're really
doing here is recognizing the perseverance , the determination, the ingenuity of
our farm families which are part of the foundation of this province. Agriculture
is our largest renewable industry in this province and the success of that
industry depends greatly on the determination and the commitment of our farm
and ranch families."
Local winners include:
- Meryl and Dinah Cook from the Lone Bar Ranch in Cardston
- David and Wanda Erickson of Milk River
- Roy Fjordbotten of Granum
- Marcus and Merelyn Harty of Milk River
- Robert George Karl of Foremost
- Theo and Regina Krooshoop of Bow Island
- Norman and Ruby Jean Marose of Taber
- James and Terry Newton of Del Bonita
- Lloyd Vornbrock of Milk River
- Lee Ward from 2 Bar Ranches in Arrowwood